Introduction Cloud computing on Amazon Web Services
- A case study from IBM reveals that an average aircraft generates between 500 to 1,000 gigabytes of data on a daily basis.
- Since the evolution of data science has come into the picture, the main constraint was to store large-scale data.
- However, over time that was also taken care of by data-centers which is a cluster of various data storing devices.
- But, when it comes to the usage of these clusters, most of the industries were facing various challenges in terms of cost and space.
- In order to encounter this issue Cloud computing was born and so was Amazon Web Services.
- Hence, In this article we will try to deep dive and gain a high-level understanding of the following topics:
- Bird-eye view of Amazon Web services
- What is cloud computing?
- Advantages of Cloud computing
- Disadvantages of Cloud computing
- Types of Cloud computing
1. Bird-eye view of Amazon Web Services:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud platform, offering more than 200 fully-featuring services from AWS data centers.
- AWS has over one Million customer base including the fastest-growing startups, largest enterprises, and leading government agencies.
- All of the customers are using AWS for lower costs, agility, and faster innovation.
- However, in order to understand the features of AWS as a service, one must understand the basics of cloud computing first.
2. What is Cloud Computing?
- Cloud computing is the on-demand delivery of IT resources over the Internet with pay-as-you-go pricing.
- Instead of buying, owning, and maintaining physical data centers and servers, you can access technology services
- such examples are computing power, storage, and databases, on an as-needed basis from a cloud provider like Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Simply put, Cloud computing is a technology that uses the internet for storing and managing data on remote servers and then access data via the internet.
3. Advantages of cloud computing:
The following are the advantages of cloud computing
Back-up and restore data
- Once the data is saved in the cloud, it is much easier to recover and restore that data.
- Cloud applications enhance collaboration by allowing groups of people to share information on the cloud via shared storage fast and efficiently.
- Using a connection to the internet, we may swiftly and conveniently access and save information anywhere in the globe, at any time.
- By ensuring that our data is always available, an internet cloud architecture improves organization productivity and efficiency.
- Cloud computing saves businesses money on both hardware and software upkeep.
We can simply access all cloud data via mobile thanks to cloud computing.
IServices in the pay-per-use model
- Cloud computing provides customers with Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) to access cloud services and charges them based on their usage.
Unlimited storage capacity
- The cloud provides us with a large quantity of storage space for keeping vital data such as documents, photographs, audio, video, and other types of media in one location.
- One of the most significant advantages of cloud computing is data security.
- Cloud computing has a number of advanced security mechanisms that ensure data is stored and handled safely.
4. Disadvantages of cloud computing:
The following are a few disadvantages of cloud computing
- As you may be aware, in cloud computing, all data (images, music, video, and so on) is stored on the cloud, and we access it via the cloud via an internet connection.
- You won’t be able to access these files if you don’t have good internet access. We do not, however, have any other means of accessing data stored on the cloud.
- The most significant downside of cloud computing is vendor lock-in.
- When switching services from one vendor to another, organizations may run into issues.
- Because different suppliers offer different platforms, switching from one cloud to another might be complicated.
- Because cloud infrastructure is owned, controlled, and monitored entirely by the service provider, cloud customers have less influence over the function and execution of services within it.
- Although cloud service companies adhere to the highest security standards when storing sensitive data.
- However, you should be aware that by using cloud technology, you will be transmitting all of your company’s sensitive data to a third party, i.e., a cloud computing service provider.
- While sending data to the cloud, there is a danger that hackers will gain access to your company’s information.
5. Types of Cloud computing models:
Infrastructure as a service (IAAS)
- IAAS consists of the basic building blocks of the cloud.
- It typically provides the access to networking devices such as computers.
- It gives the highest level of flexibility and management control.
Platform as a service (PAAS)
- PAAS removes the need for underlying infrastructure and allows to focus on the deployment and management of applications.
Software as a service (SAAS)
- SAAS provides a complete product that is run and managed by the service provider.
- In most cases, people referring to SAAS are referring to end-user applications.
Functions as a service (SAAS)
- Function as a service is a category of cloud computing services that provides a platform allowing customers to develop, run, and manage application functionalities.
- They can do this without the complexity of building and maintaining the infrastructure typically associated with developing and launching an app
- So far in this article, it is clear about cloud and why and how it is used.
- In the next article, we will know about AWS Management Console and The Top 5 AWS Services.
Follow us for more upcoming future articles related to Data Science, Machine Learning, and Artificial Intelligence.
Also, Do give us a Clap👏 if you find this article useful as your encouragement catalyzes inspiration for and helps to create more cool stuff like this.